Ask Joe

01/27/2012

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s annual selection meeting takes place on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 in Indianapolis. The new class will be revealed exclusively on the Hall of Fame Announcement show on NFL Network at 5:30 p.m. ET that day. More coverage will be found on Profootballhof.com.

Joe Horrigan, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Vice President, is the man who oversees the selection process. He invited you to post questions about our selection process on the Hall’s Facebook wall. He read through the posts and picked some out. Here are his answers.

Recent Comments
  • kerry ornelas - July 18 2012 09:06 AM

why hasn't Jim plunkett been elected into the hall of fame? he has all the numbers, two superbowl rings thats more than some. thay are doing an injustis to him and to the fans of profootball.

Report Violation

• Brian Heilmann - April 19 2012 08:49 PM

I would like to see the Hall of Fame before I am dead. BUT, being 60 years old, will I ever see The best QB out of Stanford and the Raiders TWO time Super Bowl QB Jim Plunkett make it into the HOF? It is said he is not there already. I know of 2 4 time SB winner and maybe 2, 3 time winners, but all the 2 time winners like Elway and Aikman are there already. So when does (to me) another near great QB get there. Kelly and Marino, whoopy do! never won the big one and they went in with a chant. So when will JP get in? I guess I will be on my second tour of Heaven or Hell is when I will see it! Brian

Report Violation

• Jay Willson - February 19 2012 06:00 PM

The current mechanism in place for selecting members to the HOF seems to be a bit dubious, in that a)members remain anonymous, as do their votes, and b) their is no meaningful discourse as to individual reasoning about who is voted in or not. with only 44 members and an 80% threshhold, it is rather easy for a few members to essentisally blackball an otherwise worthy player. Does it not seem logical to make the people and their votes transparent. And I would posit that it would make sense to expand the number of voters to allow less weight on any individual vote. If you look at it objectively, this process opens itsself up to racism, among other things. I hope that meaningful changes are considered. Thank you for your time. Jay Willson

reported

• Marc - February 18 2012 03:51 PM

I know there are endless debates on the margins about who should get in and who does get in, especially when comparing players from different eras or sides of the ball, but can you explain why Bart Starr was admitted 5-6 years after his retirement and Paul Hornung was admitted 20 years after his? I don't quarrel with Starr's admission and don't suggest that Hornung's induction should have taken precedent over Starr's, but they were both league-leading offensive players and irreplaceable contributors to the eight-year dynasty of dynasties during the NFL's explosion into the country's living rooms. Is it really the bad-associates year of exile?

Report Violation

• Jeremy - February 13 2012 02:44 PM

I don't have a problem with the HOF votes being kept internal, but what assurances do you have that - with the small number of people in the room - deals aren't being struck among voters to push some candidates through and blackball others? With such a small fraternity of voters, aren't alliances likely to be more productive than meaningful dialogue, in terms of keeping a player out who was "rude" during his time as a player? I'd really like to see an expanded panel of voters, where the only way to have a serious influence over the results is to speak eloquently about one of the candidates, rather than glad-hand a few of the other voters. Unless, of course, you have some measures in place to ensure that voters take the process seriously and carry out their duties with morality.

Report Violation

• Jay Willson - February 13 2012 11:11 AM

Report Violation

• David J. Michael, Jr. - February 13 2012 10:57 AM

I strongly believe that the "Hall" selection process should include an individuals entire contribution to the "game". Case in point is Francis "Bucko" Kilroy who contributed 64 years both as a player, coach, and executive. The current selection policy does not provide him the benefit of everything he contributed to the game. Outstanding "players" that become execelent "contributers" should be evaluated for their entire life's contributions to the "game". "Bucko" Kilroy and others like him deserve this consideration. Change the current selection policy, "Bucko" Kilroy should have been inducted into the HOF years ago.

reported

• Dan - February 13 2012 08:48 AM

Why is HOF voting still transparent?

reported

• Howard Phillips Fort - January 26 2012 10:10 PM

I have never in my personal research found any mention of a network television broadcast of an All-America Football Conference game, and I assume there were none. However, I am wondering whether there is any record of a local station ever independently telecasting an AAFC game. Thank you!

reported

• Kerri - January 25 2012 05:20 PM

I am bringing my Dad to the Hall of Fame. It will be his first visit,if you could only see one thing at the Hall what would it be?

reported

First time posting? A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting.

Your Comments

Your email address is required to confirm your comments. Email addresses are never displayed to other users and they are not used for any other purposes other than story comments.

Once you enter your email address, name, and comment, you will be emailed a link to confirm your comment. Additionally, you will be sent a password. In the future, if you wish to leave other comments, use the password that is provided in the email.