BACKDRAFT SERIES: For 16 days leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft, we're rolling out capsule draft histories of each of the 32 NFL Teams.
2011 Draft Position:
First-Ever Draft Pick:
• Tommy Mason, HB, Tulane (1st Round, 1st overall, 1961)
Most Recent Draft Pick:
• Ryan D'Imperio, RB, Rutgers (7th round, 237th overall, in 2010)
Hall of Famers Drafted:
• Fran Tarkenton - 3rd Round (29th overall), 1961 (Also drafted in 5th round of 1961 AFL Draft by the Boston Patriots.)
• Bobby Bell – 2nd Round (16th overall), 1963 (Also selected in 7th round – 56th overall – by Kansas City in AFL Draft
• Carl Eller - 1st Round (6th overall), 1964 (Also drafted in 1st round – 5th overall – of the 1964 AFL Draft by Buffalo Bills.)
• Alan Page - 1st Round (15th overall), 1967
• Ron Yary - 1st Round (1st overall), 1968
• Randall McDaniel - 1st Round (19th overall), 1988
First Overall Pick in the NFL Draft:
• 1968 – Ron Yary, T, Southern California
• 1961 – Tommy Mason, RB, Tulane
Did you know?
The Vikings drafted Georgia QB Fran Tarkenton in the third round of the '61 draft. As a rookie he came off the bench in Minnesota's first regular season game to lead them to a stunning upset of the Chicago Bears.
Six years later, the Vikings dealt their star QB to the New York Giants in a blockbuster trade that ultimately turned into the first overall pick of the 1968 NFL Draft. The Vikings picked future Hall of Fame tackle Ron Yary with the selection. In 1972, Tarkenton and Yary became teammates when the Vikings reacquired the QB.
"Randall is one of the most gifted athletes I've ever seen. I've seen him vertical jump 37 inches and timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.58. He has phenomenal athletic talent. It's really unusual to see an offensive lineman who has the speed and stamina he has. He was the college national powerlifting champion. I don't recall a defensive lineman ever beating him."
Former Arizona State and University of Minnesota quarterback Dan Ford offered that insight to Minneapolis media after the Vikings drafted Randall McDaniel as the 19th overall pick of the 1988 NFL Draft. His analysis was on the mark as McDaniel's athleticism helped him to a NFL career that landed him in Canton.
Check out Minnesota Vikings merchandise available in our store! Shop Now>>>
Enter the code “BACKDRAFT” at checkout and you’ll enjoy 15% off your entire order.
Who in '11?
Post your comment about who you think Vikings will take in the first round this year. Why?