BACKDRAFT SERIES: For 16 days leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft, we're rolling out capsule draft histories of each of the 32 NFL Teams.
2011 Draft Position:
First-Ever Draft Pick:
• Riley Smith, B, Alabama (1st Round, 2nd overall, 1936)
Most Recent Draft Pick:
• Selvish Capers, T, West Virginia (7th round, 231st overall, in 2010)
Hall of Famers Drafted:
• Wayne Millner - 8th Round (65th overall), 1936
• Sammy Baugh - 1st Round (6th overall), 1937
• Charley Taylor - 1st Round (3rd overall), 1964 (Also drafted in 2nd round - 9th overall - of 1964 AFL Draft by the Houston Oilers.)
• Paul Krause - 2nd Round (18th overall), 1964 (Also drafted in 12th round - 89th overall - of 1964 AFL Draft by the Denver Broncos.)
• Chris Hanburger – 18th Round (245th overall), 1965
• Art Monk - 1st Round (18th overall), 1980
• Russ Grimm - 3rd Round (69th overall), 1981
• Darrell Green - 1st Round (28th overall), 1983
First Overall Pick in the NFL Draft:
• 1962 – Ernie Davis, RB, Syracuse
• 1948 – Harry Gilmer, QB, Alabama
Did you know?
Studying the Redskins draft history in the 1970s is a quick read. The George Allen philosophy of building a team filled with veteran players resulted in Washington trading away each and every first-round draft pick in the decade. In fact, after the 1971 NFL Draft, the earliest the Redskins ended up on the clock in any draft through the entire '70s was the fourth round!
"There might be some real surprises. We certainly are considering players whose names aren't that well known," shared Redskins coach Jack Pardee the day before the 1980 NFL Draft. Washington fans were waiting with excitement as the team was preparing to pick its first NFL first-round draft pick in 12 years.
Scouting reports and even GM Bobby Bethard acknowledged that the team's top priorities were a defensive lineman and running back. But, Bethard and Pardee were also evaluating potential trades that would enable them to go after a high-profile receiver such as Lam Jones or Art Monk.
As it turned out, Monk was still available when it was the Redskins turn to pick at the No. 18 spot.
"We thought he would be gone. It took us 10 seconds to take him," commented a pleased Bethard.
Check out merchandise available in our store! Shop Now>>>
Enter the code “BACKDRAFT” at checkout and you’ll enjoy 15% off your entire order.
Who in '11?
Post your comment about who you think Redskins will take in the first round on Thursday. Why?
Back to news