Insider Trivia - November 2008 Edition
Here are the answers to the trivia questions from the most recent edition of our Insider
Test your knowledge of the preliminary nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2009.
|Become a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Insider's Club today! Click on the image above to join.|
1. Which of these Super Bowl winning quarterbacks was not named Super Bowl MVP?
a. Jim Plunkett
b. Phil Simms
c. Ken Stabler
d. Doug Williams
Stabler led the Raiders to a victory in Super Bowl XI. His main target, Hall of Fame wide receiver Fred Biletnikoff earned MVP honors in the game.
2. Rod Woodson stands third in the NFL record books for most career interceptions. Who is the all-time record holder?
a. Paul Krause
b. Dick “Night Train” Lane
c. Ronnie Lott
d. Emlen Tunnell
Hall of Famer Paul Krause holds the NFL record with 81 career interceptions.
3. What college did long-time Chargers defensive end Leslie O’Neal attend?
b. Oklahoma State
d. Southern California
O’Neal was a first round pick out of Oklahoma State
4. In what state was Steelers center Dermontti Dawson, a seven-time Pro Bowler, born?
Dawson was born on June 17, 1965 at Lexington, Kentucky.
5. Defensive end Bruce Smith is the career leader in quarterback sacks with 200. Whose record did he break?
a. Dan Hampton
b. Howie Long
c. Lawrence Taylor
d. Reggie White
In his final season in 2003, Smith surpassed the career total of 198 sacks amassed by Hall of Famer Reggie White.
6. In 1998, Terrell Davis rushed for 2,008 yards. How many players have surpassed 2,000 yards rushing in season?
Including Davis, five NFL players have surpassed the 2,000-yard plateau – O.J. Simpson (1973), Eric Dickerson (1984), Barry Sanders (1997) and Jamal Lewis (2003).
7. Which coach nominee was a quarterback in the NFL for nine seasons?
a. Don Coryell
b. Tom Flores
c. Jimmy Johnson
d. Chuck Knox
Flores played with Oakland (1960-66), Buffalo (1967-69) and Kansas City (1969) before he began his coaching career.
8. Which Class of 2009 nominee is part of the ownership of the Jacksonville Jaguars?
a. Deron Cherry
b. Roger Craig
c. Roy Green
d. Herschel Walker
Cherry has been a partner with the Jaguars since the team’s inception in 1995.
9. Which two nominees once held the record for most receptions in a season by a tight end?
a. Todd Christiansen
b. Ben Coates
c. Brent Jones
d. Shannon Sharpe
Both Christiansen and Coates at one time held the record. In 1983 Christiansen set the mark with 92 and then broke it in 1985 when he had 95 receptions. Coates eclipsed that mark in 1994 with 96 grabs.
10. Wide Receiver Cris Carter retired as the second all-time leading receiver with 1,101 receptions. What college did he attend?
c. Ohio State
Carter was a fourth round pick out of Ohio State by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1987 Supplemental Draft .
11. Which nominee holds the NFL record for most sacks in a game?
a. Charley Haley
b. Hardy Nickerson
c. John Randle
d. Derrick Thomas
Thomas registered 7 sacks against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 11, 1990.
12. Which of these quarterback nominees holds the single-game Super Bowl record for completion percentage?
a. Ken Anderson
b. Phil Simms
c. Joe Theismann
d. Doug Williams
Although Anderson once held it, Simms set the record when he completed 22 of 25 passes for a completion percentage of 88 percent in Super Bowl XXI.
13. Randall McDaniel was selected to 12 straight Pro Bowls during his career. Which college did he attend?
a. Arizona State
b. Brigham Young
McDaniel was a first-team All-America selection out of Arizona State.
14. Which of the following running back nominees have the most career receptions?
a. Larry Centers
b. Roger Craig
c. Herschel Walker
d. Ricky Watters
Centers registered 827 receptions, a record for running backs, during his 14-year career.
15. Who is this Class of 2009 nominee?
Hint: This nominee was the first ever draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Tony Boselli started 90 out of a possible 91 games during his eight-season NFL career and was elected to five consecutive Pro Bowls (1997-2001).
|July 2008 - Click here for the questions and answers to the trivia used in the previous edition of the Insider|
|May 2008 - Click here for the questions and answers to the trivia used in the previous edition of the Insider|
"Why Do You Love Football?" photo challenge winners announced
Stuart Steele, 47, of Overland Park, KS and Ben Queen, 13, of Bridgeport, WV have been named the winners of the Adult and Teen Divisions of the Canon and Pro Football Hall of Fame Why Do You Love Football? photo challenge.
Lavelli passes away at 85
Class of 1975 inductee Dante Lavelli died at the age of 85. A lifelong resident of Ohio, Lavelli remained loyal to the Cleveland Browns, a team he put on the map during his career from 1946-1956.