Honor the Heroes of the Game, Preserve Its History, Promote its Values & Celebrate Excellence Everywhere
Share your pictures, videos, and stories from your visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on our social media. We might even feature you in one of our promotions!
General Rules | Announcement of Winners | Eligibility | Awards | Presentation Suggestions
1. Entered photographs must have been taken during the 2019 National Football League season, as defined in the “Eligibility” section below (“Photographs That Are Eligible”).
2. For digital photo submission, FTP and required specifications are available at: www.profootballhof.com/photocontest. Digital photo entries may be submitted beginning January 6, 2020 and will tentatively end on April 6, 2020. Each digital photo submission must be at least 1 MB.
3. The contestant’s name and address, plus the date of the picture, the location of the game, and the category in which the photograph is entered, must be included with each digital submission.
4. The maximum number of entries any photographer may submit is limited to 12.
5. All entries are placed in the permanent archives of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Copyright privileges, however, remain with the photographer.
The judging for the 52nd Annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Photo Contest will occur in April 2020. Winners will be notified after the judging panel has made its decisions. Public announcement will be made soon thereafter.
Photographers Who Are Eligible
All professional photographers who make photographs for general circulation newspapers and magazines, who make still photographs for television use, or who are assigned to game coverage by a professional football team are eligible to compete. Publication is not necessary for entry.
Photographs That Are Eligible
Pictures made of activity ON or OFF the playing field during the progress of any regularly scheduled 2019 National Football League game, including preseason, regular season, and playoff games, are eligible. Also eligible are pictures taken during Super Bowl LIV and the Pro Bowl. In the feature category, the term “during the progress of” shall be interpreted to include activity just before or just after the game (such as locker-room scenes, coin tosses, etc.).
Categories of Competition
There will be two categories of competition:
Both black-and-white and color entries are eligible for either category. The categories are considered to be self-descriptive terms, and it shall be left to the discretion of each photographer as to which class he/she wishes to enter. As a matter of clarification—PORTRAITURE AND EXPERIMENTAL PHOTOGRAPHY will be considered feature entries. It also should be noted that the panel of judges reserves the right to reclassify any entry if, in the opinion of the judges, such a reclassification would be logical and appropriate and in the best interest of the photographer. See PRESENTATION SUGGESTIONS for more specific guidelines.
Photograph of the Year-Dave Boss Award of Excellence
The top individual prize of the 52nd Annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Photo Contest will be awarded to the individual category winner the judges deem to be the outstanding entry of the entire contest. The judging panel first will select the two individual category winners and, from those, will designate the “Photograph of the Year” award. The winning photographer also will receive the Dave Boss Award of Excellence. The extensive prize list that goes with this award is detailed in the “Schedule of Awards” section.
Awards in Each Category
First-, second-, and third-place photographs will be selected in both the action and feature categories. In addition, an unspecified number of honorable mention awards will be made in either or both categories when entries merit such recognition. All first-place photographs will be on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame for an indefinite period (as available display space permits).
Schedule of Awards
CASH PRIZES TOTALING $8,000 WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:
Photograph of the Year—A $1,000 cash prize, along with the $2,000 first-place award, a distinctive personalized plaque commemorating the award, and an all-expense-paid trip (Continental U.S. only) for the Dave Boss Award of Excellence recipient and a guest to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020 Enshrinement Week Powered by Johnson Controls in Canton, Ohio, make up the prize structure. The Dave Boss Award of Excellence winner will be officially honored and presented with the award as a part of the week's activities.
Judges often are asked why certain photographs are chosen over others. Presentation has a strong influence on the selection of a photo for final judging. Here are some suggestions for making your entries potential winners:
1. Use sound judgment in determining the correct category for the image you are entering. Be certain the photograph qualifies for the category.
2. Sensitivity and judgment should be utilized in cropping pictures. Proper cropping enhances a photograph’s impact.
3. Image quality should be of the highest standards. An image can be disqualified if the printing is less than professional.