NFL/Hall of Fame Game canceled

07/22/2011

Pro Football Hall of Fame’s statement regarding cancellation of NFL/Hall of Fame Game

While the Pro Football Hall of Fame is disappointed by the news that the NFL/Hall of Fame Game will not be played, we appreciate the effort that was made on our behalf by the league and players right up until the last minute.

Although the game is an important part of the 10-day, 18-event Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival, it is important to remember that the most important event is the Enshrinement Ceremony which will be held on Saturday night August 6 as scheduled.

Obviously, the loss of this year’s game will have a significant adverse economic impact on the Hall of Fame and the Canton community. We believe, however, that the long-term stability this new agreement will provide will be beneficial not only to the league and the players, but to the fans and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Pro Football Hall of Fame Game Ticket Refund Policy

Game tickets purchased through Pro Football Hall of Fame
With the cancellation of the NFL/Hall of Fame Game, the Pro Football Hall of Fame (PFHOF) will invoke the following ticket refund policy.  If you purchased your  tickets  through the Hall's website, the PFHOF call center (800-913-9788),  the PFHOF renewal program (via mail or online), the Hall of Fame will  automatically issue a refund using the same method of payment (check or credit card) that was used to purchase the tickets. You will receive a full refund of your purchase which will include the game ticket cost, fees, and handling/shipping. The PFHOF will begin the refund process as soon as possible after the scheduled date of the game (August 7, 2011), with a completion date no later than August 31, 2011.

Game tickets purchased through Sports Travel & Tours
If you purchased tickets for the NFL/Hall of Fame Game through a package from Sports Travel and Tours, Inc., the PFHOF’s travel partner, a refund will automatically be issued by Sports Travel and Tours for the game ticket only.  A refund will not be given for any other events within the ticket packages or travel packages. Questions regarding these packages should be directed to Sports Travel and Tours at (888) 310-4255.

Questions regarding this policy may be directed to the PFHOF ticket department at (330)-456-8207.

Recent Comments
  • Dave - September 14 2011 11:47 AM

Ok Football fans, I am just as disappointed as you not having the game in my hometown. I was born and raised in Canton and even played in that same field as the "Pro's" did every year. This is a huge upset and a disappointment to mu family. Not living in Canton anymore due to military commitment is what it is but Football in Canton is huge and it should have happened. It's bad enough that most in Canton suffer from the economy and the cancelation of that game just put another knife wound in the backs of the good people in Canton. For all that read this, please continue to support Canton and Hall Of Fame, they need it and so do the real old school players that cared about the game.

• Ken Palmeri - August 09 2011 09:14 AM

Being a ticket holder since 1997 at $15...a ticket now those seats are 50 ea.I want my refund yesterday. They have had plenty of time to refund our money

• Jorge - August 08 2011 01:24 AM

Suck it up people at least we have a season as as season ticket holder thank you owners and players for giving us a season this year and way to go Primetime miss watching you dominate

• DEVIN K.TURNER - August 07 2011 05:03 AM

The NFL Should reschedule this game for another date. Probably-Labor Day as there is no football played on that Date.

• TC - August 03 2011 08:06 AM

Way to go NFL! Idiots! This game should have been a go. The NFL does not care about their fans. They care only about their millions of dollars that they get because of thier fans!

• Kat - August 02 2011 09:56 PM

This was going to be such a big surprise when the tickets fell out of my dauhter's wedding card as a "little something extra". They just arrived in the mail yesterday in time for their wedding next weekend. She and my future son in law love football and I was thinking how wonderful in our own backyard (Canton) and hoped they could perhaps make an annual tradition out of it. Bummer! You should have went forward with this game for the fans!

• Pam - August 02 2011 03:07 PM

The Hall of Fame game on TV is the highlight of the NFL Season for me! A first taste of football after the long dry summer. Especially with all the drama of the lockout and the possibility of the season being cancelled. But what should we expect from the millionaire players and the billionaire owners? They aren't in it for the fans that have been follwing this game for years, or the little boys who were looking for this to be the highlight of their summer, or even the poor merchants, hotels, etc of the Canton/Akron area who would benefit greatly from this game being held. Who cares if the players are a little out of shape and don't gel well together as a team? Isn't that the purpose of a pre-season game? Get the guys in pads and get them on the field. Can't fix it if ya don't know what's broken. WE THE FANS are there for the joy of the game! THE PLAYERS are there for the Almighty Dollar!!

• Harry Ballsack - July 29 2011 10:09 AM

I was upset its not like this game means anything I have been to the game before like most preseason games the overpaid primadonnas just show up and look pretty and dont even play the real heart is in the players who want to make the team and play because they love the game. how hard is it just to send the 3rd and 4th stringers to the HOF game they are the only one who play anyway . maybe you can find a few high school teams that would love to play for the love of the game..

• Roger - July 26 2011 06:13 PM

THe Hall of Fame Refund Plan is ridiculous, over 50% of Hall of Fame Game tickets were sold by so called "season ticket renewal orders" these people have already sold their tickets for a profit and now will receive an "automatic refund" while the new "owners" of these tickets receive no refund, the Hall of Fame should only refund the face value of the tickets to the "holder" of the tickets. The way I read this is the "renewal orders" do not have to prove they still have the tickets. Therefore they profit from a "private sale" and a "autonatic refund" also. You cannot force the previous owner you purchased the tickets from to refund the price paid for them. Either the Hall needs to refund only to the "ticket holders" or enforce their policy that "ticket renewal orders" cannot be resold.

• Roger - July 26 2011 06:10 PM

• Shawn Marcotte - July 26 2011 11:30 AM

I watch every preseason game including the hof game every and I agree with everybody else you should play the game now that the lockout is over or refund all the people who bought tickets to the hof game.

• Jana - July 25 2011 04:36 PM

Shame on you and your greedy selves! I bought two tickets to see the Bears, My little boy LOVES the Bears and has to check into Akron Childrens Hospital on Monday the 8th, and this would have have been an awesome experience for him before he goes through all that. We are coming in from Chicago, at least like many other fans I am not losing out on travel expenses already paid for....But I do have one broken hearted little boy!!!

• Joyce - July 25 2011 01:37 PM

Dear NFL owners and players, This WAS our vacation and by the time you return my money a couple days before school starts..... no place to go them. So I will take my refunded ticket money and give it to my high school football booster club because I would rather watch them play, high school football is where the heart is. High school coaches and players play and coach only for the love of football. Next time you want to screw the fans over please use the KY. Thank you

• Kelli Jackson - July 25 2011 01:03 PM

Dear NFL: I am the mother of two little Chicago Bears fan. This was to be a once in a life time event for them both. Their hearts are broke, my 6 hear old cried! Do you know what that does to a mother's heart? You don't, because you have no heart....only wallets. I am ashamed that grown adults couldn't work things out sooner for THE FANS! Remember us? We are the ones that put those millions of dollars in your wallets. I will patiently await my refund. I will also patiently await for you to make this up to my little boys. They live in Fl and would love to go to the Bears vs Bucs game this season on your dime. Or will that be the one main game that you still have time to arrange in London!

• Stacy - July 24 2011 09:32 PM

I bought the 2nd half package for my grandson's 15th birthday. Now i am getting a buffet lunch and tailgate party. BIG DEAL. I should get a full refund, this is not what I purchased. I am ticked off and will never be back. I just purchased some hats to save 25%, last time that will happen. It's all about making money.

• Pat Falllon - July 24 2011 07:17 PM

How disrespectful of the fans and the the players being enshrined all in the name of greed! I have been a Ram fan since 1965 and the years that Marshall Faulk gave to the Rams was primarily responsible for "The Greatest Show on Turf" years in NFL history where finally the Rams WON the SUPER BOWL! Not only was Marshall one of the best players to ever play the GAME of football, he is also a great person. Being a teacher and a ram fan I have quite frequently told my high school students that Marshall Faulk is a person of the utmost integrity and character and they should examine his work ethic and personal qualities and attempt to emulate him. I feel it is tragic to disrespect all of the inductees into the Hall of Fame by not playing this game - Really, how many other times has this happened? WHAT A SHAME!!!

• Todd - July 24 2011 12:29 PM

Why don't they invite some youth football teams to participate in games? It would be a thrill for the youngsters and at least the hotels could make some money. This is one way to help a bad situation and allow the NFL to show they care about the game.

• Poison Ivey - July 24 2011 12:25 PM

DAMN!!!!! Our FIRST TIME to go to the HOF GAME and the NFL cancels. We'll be there to see RICHARD DENT, MVP Superbowl XX. GO BEARS!!!!

• robert e. kulpa sr - July 24 2011 08:40 AM

have attended every hall of fame game since 1979 and been a season ticket holder since 1981 and cant begin to tell you how unhappy i am about the cancelled game....this has always been a highlight of my year ... hope things get resolved quickly so we dont miss a whole season .... robert e kulpa sr

• DORENE BARKER - July 23 2011 06:35 PM

PS GO DEION SANDERS.....WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU! AN FSU FAN & YOUR FPRMER TALLAHASSE INSURANCE AGENT!

• DORENE BARKER - July 23 2011 06:30 PM

• DORENE BARKER - July 23 2011 06:25 PM

I BOUGHT MY HUSBAND TICKETS TO THE HALL OF FAME GAME FOR HIS BIRTHDAY....NONREFUNDABLE AIRLAINE TICKETS TO CANTON FROM FLORIDA,,,AND AN EXPENSIVE HOTEL.... U ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED ....WHY NOT TRY TO MAKE AMENDS And OFFER FREE NFL FOOTBALL TICKETS? MAYBE WE ALL SHOULD THINK ABOUT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

• RAMS39 - July 23 2011 09:53 AM

My 15 yr old son is the ultimate RAMS fan this was the hightlight of his summer!!! We are so hurt!! I wish they would realize there is so much more to all of this than just $$.

• Jeff - July 23 2011 06:40 AM

I had season tix for 16 yrs to this game the price started @ $12.50 now up over $50. they gave me two weeks in feb to pay them for a game 5 months away that might not even be played (and it's not) now they say money will be refunded in 2 months, thats 7 months they had my money!! so I told them to cancel my tix and I'm not going back!! the H.O.F. lost 4 people that were always there 3 to 4 times a yr. we fans deserve better

• Lynda - July 22 2011 09:05 PM

My husband and I were so excited to be going to the game. It was to be our first time. We are so very disappointed when we heard the game was to be cancelled. Too bad the rich feel they need to just keep getting richer. If they really cared about the game, they would have been working out on their own so they would be ready for this "preseason game".

• Dan Maestas - July 22 2011 06:11 PM

Very disappointed!!! From a NFL perspective, what a loss of economic impact to the Canton area!!! From a Ram Fan perspective, what a life time loss!!! My what a sight to have see PAST PRESENT & FUTURE RAM PLAYERS "PRICELESS" Shame on you NFL, for taking this opportunity from us Ram Fans & Bear Fans!!! Congrats Marshall and Thank You for all you did and continue to do!!!

• Peggy - July 22 2011 05:42 PM

Sure would like my refund NOW TODAY!!!! I can use it for my new travel plans. Gues ya'll need the interest from it.

• joey - July 22 2011 02:54 PM

That's sad about the game. But what would the players be doing if they weren't playing football .making millions of dollars to be doing what they love to do . I would be happy to make a fraiction of what they make and never complain. Would Tiger Woods not play golf if didn't make millions .I don't think so..

• Double D - July 22 2011 12:01 PM

This is exactly the problem with professional sports. Until the fans stop showing support the greedy bastars meaning owners & players will never change!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jo - July 22 2011 11:57 AM

I've been a game ticket holder since 1976 and began attending enshrinement ceremonies in the 60's. This is very disappointing. But we shouldn't lose sight of the reason this whole HOF weekend takes place --the Enshrinement! Think of how these enshrinees must feel hearing that many will not be coming to Canton to witness their induction because the game was cancelled. It's time to rise above our dissatisfaction with this decision and rally behind the enshrinees.

• Ed Nelson - July 22 2011 11:25 AM

THE NFL OWES CANTON, THE FANS, THE ENSHRINEES, & EVERYONE INVOLVED MORE THAN AN APOLOGY. I'M DISGUSTED BY THE ARROGENCE & DISREGARD OF WHAT MAKES THIS SPORT GREAT! MONEY AND GREED SUPPORTED OFF THE BACKS OF HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT BUY THE OVERPRICED MERCHANDISE, TICKETS, AND EVERYTHING ELSE. SHAME ON THE NFL!

• Craig Booth - July 22 2011 10:22 AM

The cancellation of the HOF game is a HUGE disappointment for all of us. The saddest part is the knock on the chin that Canton is going to take as a result of the greed of a bunch of millionaire players and billionaire owners who couldn't get this deal done in time to save this trivial, "little" unimportant pre-season game! What they don't realize is that this "little" game is the only opportunity most of us "little" guys have to get up close and personal with our "heroes"! (hah) I know everyone gets tired of hearing how there would be no game without the fans...well we're here, ready to go, and what do know...it really is just about the money! (Speaking of money), HOF/NFL... you've had our ticket money since March, collecting interest on it every day since! Refunds will start "as soon as possible after the scheduled date of the game..." Seriously? Two weeks before you even start refunding? Shame on you for trying to squeeze more interest out of our money! Myself or another member of my family have been paying for 2 to 4 tickets every year since the game was started in the early sixties! Now you've stolen our game from us (the fans), and you're thanking us by withholding our money! SHAME ON YOU! If you don't have my ticket money by your deadline FIVE MONTHS BEFORE KICKOFF, I forfeit them...and yet, you can't START refunding our money for 2 to 3 weeks after YOU cancel the game? Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sure what you meant to say to us who have been supporting you AND the Hall for all these years was, "Thank you for your loyalty, it means so very much! Oh, and be sure to have your money for next August's game into us in March, or we'll have to get some other poor schlep like you to open up his checkbook! Thanks again, SUCKERS!"

• Gary - July 22 2011 08:19 AM

a long time tradition with my son also is now gone based on the greed of the owners and players. In addition, they didn't seem to care about this year's enshrinees either. I was disappointed in the HOF's statement as well. HOF appreciated the effort up to the last minute ! It should have stated the "LACK" of effort for several months prior with all of the unnecessary legal maneuvering. Once again, the fans and the city of Canton are the real losers.

• robert wirkus - July 22 2011 07:47 AM

thank you mom and dad for years of the hall of fame i am so sorry to here of the news that our chicago bears will not play in hall game THANK YOU FOR taking me when i could not i agree with you both f the NFL OWNERS AND PLAYERS they forgot about us the fans and you are right only thought about there wallets..

• Rob - July 22 2011 06:58 AM

A 7 year annual event with my son has come to an end. I have spent my last dime on anything NFL.Fan's have no connection with these people whatsoever. Read Pat O'Briens comments, he has phrased it best!

• Lisa - July 22 2011 05:49 AM

I am so upset, my son and I are flying in and it was supposed to be a great ending to a great weekend. He was looking forward to that the most. I also bought my tickets before the game was announced, and although neither of our teams would have been playing the thought of attending was exciting as this will probably be the only time we xould come.Thanks for ruining it with your selfishness and greed!

• Ramrod59 - July 21 2011 10:18 PM

The players and the owners should be ashamed. They both had plenty of time to get the CBA agreed upon and sign in time to save the HOF game. I'm attending for the 1st and probably the last time. I feel sorry for the inductees. The game on Sunday would have been a fitting end to a HOF career. You selfiss bastards!!!!

• Pedro M Hernandez - July 21 2011 08:45 PM

I was afraid of this game being cancelled by the NFL. I had purchased game tickets even before the teams were announced. Then when they announced the Rams were playing, I was ecstatic. I've been going to Canton every other year since 2001 for just the Enshrinment Ceremony and the game. With the economy still being slow it doesn't make sense to fly from Miami just to go to the Ceremony. I'm very upset, but that's life. I was looking forward to seeing the Rams play and greeting Marshall and his friends from the Greatest Show on Turf. Oh well, congratulations to all, and especially to Marshall Faulk. Go Rams!!!

• Pat O'Brien - July 21 2011 08:17 PM

We have been attending Enshrinement weekend for many years. After months of eagerly waiting to see our Chicago Bears play in the HOF game, we are devastated by the news. For that reason, this will be our last Enshrinement. F**k the NFL, the owners and the players, all of whom forgot about the game... they only thought about their wallets.

• Don - July 21 2011 07:45 PM

This is a bummer. Marshall Faulk & the Rams deserve better, but c'est la vie

reported

First time posting? A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting.

Your Comments

Your email address is required to confirm your comments. Email addresses are never displayed to other users and they are not used for any other purposes other than story comments.

Once you enter your email address, name, and comment, you will be emailed a link to confirm your comment. Additionally, you will be sent a password. In the future, if you wish to leave other comments, use the password that is provided in the email.