BACKDRAFT SERIES: For 16 days leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft, we're rolling out capsule draft histories of each of the 32 NFL Teams.
|Apr. 12 - Packers | Steelers
|Apr. 13 - Bears | Jets
|Apr. 14- Patriots | Falcons
|Apr. 15- Ravens | Seahawks
|Apr. 16- Saints | Eagles
|Apr. 17- Colts | Chiefs
|Apr. 18- Buccaneers | Giants
|Apr. 19- Chargers | Raiders
|Apr. 20- Jaguars | Dolphins
|Apr. 21- Rams | Lions
|Apr. 22- Vikings | Texans
|Apr. 23- Redskins | Cowboys
|Apr. 24- Titans | 49ers
|Apr. 25- Browns | Cardinals
|Apr. 26- Bengals | Bills
|Apr. 27- Broncos | Panthers
2011 Draft Position:
First-Ever Draft Pick:
Russ Letlow, G, San Francisco (1st Round, 7th overall, in 1936)
Most Recent Draft Pick:
• C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina (7th round, 230th overall, in 2010)
Hall of Famers Drafted:
• Tony Canadeo - 9th Round (77th overall), 1941
• Jim Ringo - 7th Round (79th overall), 1953
• Forrest Gregg - 2nd Round (20th overall), 1956
• Bart Starr - 17th Round (200th overall), 1956
• Paul Hornung - 1st Round (1st overall), 1957
• Jim Taylor - 2nd Round (15th overall), 1958
• Ray Nitschke - 3rd Round (36th overall), 1958
• Herb Adderley - 1st Round (12th overall), 1961 (Also drafted in 2nd round of 1961 AFL Draft by the New York Titans.)
• James Lofton - 1st Round (6th overall), 1978
| Russ Letlow
First Overall Pick in the NFL Draft:
1959 - Randy Duncan, QB, Iowa
1957 - Paul Hornung, HB, Notre Dame
Did you know?
Eight Packers Hall of Famers started their NFL careers before the draft was introduced.
Sterling Sharpe was a highly touted receiver coming out of South Carolina in 1988. Most draft boards and even he himself thought he was destined for Tampa Bay. Sharpe told the AP that he had received a call from Buccaneers' coach Ray Perkins who told him "there was a good chance they'd take me. He couldn't say anything definite, but he said it's just a matter of if I'm there.``
Perhaps it was a change of mind or a smokescreen. But when it came to the fourth pick overall owned by Tampa Bay, the Bucs selected Wisconsin tackle Paul Gruber. Sharpe went to Green Bay three picks later. According to a newspaper account after the fact, Perkins shared that only his wife and him knew who the pick was and that it was Gruber all along.
Check out merchandise available in our store! Shop Now>>>
Enter the code “BACKDRAFT” at checkout and you’ll enjoy 15% off your order.
Who in '11?
Post your comment with who the Packers should select in the first round on April 28. Why?
Back to news