The History of the Super Bowl at Raymond James Stadium
Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida will be the site of the 2021 Super Bowl.
Tampa is a veteran host venue, as the Cigar City held the Super Bowl in 1984, 1991, 2001 and 2009.
The first two Tampa-based Super Bowls were held at the original Tampa Stadium, which was closed in 1998 and demolished in 1999 to make way for Raymond James Stadium right next door.
Along with the predictable sunny weather that made Florida famous, Raymond James Stadium has been an ideal Super Bowl venue since its inception.
Surprisingly, Tampa wasn’t the league’s first choice to host the 2021 Super Bowl.
The NFL’s original plan was for Los Angeles to host at the Rams and Chargers shared SoFi Stadium. However, initial plans were halted after the stadium’s completion timeline was pushed back.
Before the league heads back to Tampa this February for the 2021 Super Bowl, we’re looking back at the two previous times Raymond James Stadium hosted the game.
2001 SUPER BOWL
Date: January 28, 2001
Teams: Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Giants
Halftime Performer(s): Aerosmith & Brittany Spears
Score: BAL 34, NYG 7
MVP: LB Ray Lewis
Hall of Famers in Game: Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, Michael Strahan
Did You Know: The score was the 7th largest margin of victory in Super Bowl history.
2009 SUPER BOWL
Date: February 1, 2009
Teams: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Arizona Cardinals
Halftime Performer: Bruce Springsteen
Score: PIT 27, ARI 23
MVP: WR Santonio Holmes
Hall of Famers in Game: Troy Polamalu, Edgerrin James, Kurt Warner
Did You Know: The Steelers became the first team to win six Super Bowls with this championship.
RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM FACTS
- First game — September 20, 1998: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27, Chicago Bears 15
- Capacity: 65,000 (expandable to 75,000)
- A $140 million renovation was completed in 2016
- Two 9,600 square-foot video boards are located on the North and South ends of the stadium.
- An elaborate 103-foot pirate ship replica is located above the North end zone and was designed by a Walt Disney World prop creator.
- The stadium is nicknamed “Ray Jay” by locals.
- Raymond James Stadium is home to the Outback Bowl, usually played on New Year’s Day. Famous food chain Outback Steakhouse was founded in Tampa.
BE AT RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM FOR THE 2021 SUPER BOWL
Experience Raymond James Stadium’s third time as Super Bowl host with a 2021 Super Bowl Ticket Package from HOF Experiences.
2021 Super Bowl Ticket Packages include a game ticket, access to the Gold Jacket Club pregame party, opportunities to meet football legends and much more.
Go back to all blog listings