August 14, 1959 as the Los Angeles Chargers and Charter Member of AFL
Moved to San Diego:
Moved to Los Angeles:
AFL Western Division Championships:
1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965
AFC Western Division Championships:
1979, 1980, 1981, 1992, 1994
AFC West Division Championships:
2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
(At Start of 2017 Season)
Retired Uniform Numbers:
#14 Dan Fouts
#19 Lance Alworth
- Original Franchise Location: The Chargers moved to San Diego in 1961, after one season in Los Angeles.
- First Regular-Season Game: A 21-20 victory over the Dallas Texans, 9/10/60.
- First Winning Season: 1960 (10-4).
- First Playoff Appearance: A 24-16 loss to the Houston Oilers in the American Football League Championship game, 1/1/61.
- First All-League Selections: T Ron Mix, QB Jack Kemp, HB Paul Lowe, DT Volney Peters, DB Dick Harris, 1960.
- First Charger Elected to the Hall of Fame: WR Lance Alworth, 1978.
- First to Rush 100 Yards in a Game: Paul Lowe, 137 yards vs. the Boston Patriots, 10/28/60.
- First 1,000-Yard Rusher: Paul Lowe, 1,010 yards (1963).
- First to Pass 400 Yards in a Game: Dan Fouts, 444 yards vs. the New York Giants, 10/19/80.
- Most Yards Rushing, Career: LaDainian Tomlinson, 12,490 yards (2001-09).
- Most Yards Passing, Career: Dan Fouts, 43,040 yards (1973-1987).
- Most Receptions, Career: Antonio Gates, 788 receptions (2003-2014).
- All-Time Leading Scorer: John Carney, 1,076 points (1990-2000).
- It's A Fact: The Chargers' uniform was unveiled on March 20, 1960. Models for the uniform were future Hall of Famer Ron Mix and quarterback/Congressman Jack Kemp.
- Warmest Game in Team History: 108 degrees vs. the Raiders at Los Angeles, 9/4/88.
- Longest Interception Return: Vencie Glenn's 103-yard return vs. the Denver Broncos on 11/29/87.